Showing the Shitter-Actual Bathrooms

I thought I would update the Showing the Shitter with some actual bathroom stories that will make you wonder why they even bother having indoor plumbing!

I have some clients that are looking up to $800k and we are seeing some decent houses right now. But we have had some odd bathrooms that you would not usually associate with an $800k house.  The first was in a great neighborhood by Cherry Creek State Park.  The listing said it was 5 bedroom and 4 bathrooms.  We walked in and the 1st and 2nd floor were amazing. Really nicely updated and tasteful fixtures.  The master bathroom had a great soaking tub and the 2nd bathroom had a double sink and remodeled shower/tub.  The guest bath was cute and perfect for the main level.  Then we head to the basement.  Those that have followed this blog know that this is usually where things get dicey. We start down and I immediately know that when they say they have a finished basement, this is incorrect.  I can see that their level of finish included painting the cement walls and putting carpet in. But I see on the listing that this is where the 5th bed and 4th bath are so I continue.   We get to the bottom and sure enough the painted cement walls and carpet continue. The ceiling lights have been changed out to pendant lights but that is still hanging off exposed beams and joists. The room is also completely open with a bed on one end and living room with a wet bar on the other.  I am questioning the bathroom because I don't see any doors and I am only seeing the wet bar sink.  There is a half wall next to the sink so I walk further in to see and yep, there is the toilet!  Just sitting in the open, facing the bed and looking out on the living room.  And yes, the carpet extended to the toilet as well.  My clients had a really good sense of humor about it and said it was the biggest bathroom they had ever seen!  We did decide to pass on this house though. 

Another house we saw was in a gated community in Littleton.  This was a fantastic house with a main floor master bedroom and huge yard. It said it was a 4 bedroom, 4 bath home. We found the master bath needed some updating but nothing that switching out the tub and putting in a nice vanity wouldn't fix.  The 2nd bath was decent and the guest bath was also nice. Again, we head to the basement.  I get down there and see a nice recreation room with wet bar and around the corner was a room that could be converted into a bedroom later down the line.  I opened the only door down there and saw the furnace and water heater.  I closed that door and looked around, wondering where the 4th bath was.  I walked over to the wet bar because you can bet where there is plumbing, there is a bath somewhere.  Nothing.  I then walk back to the furnace room because I am realizing there looks to be space behind the furnace but I couldn't see when I opened the door.  So this time I venture into the room sure enough I do see a space behind the furnace.  I turn on my flashlight and there is the bathroom!  You have to walk through the furnace room, under some ducting and past the water heater and drain to get to the bathroom.   And the door to the furnace room was the only door so if you went to the bathroom here you would need to close that door, feel your way in complete darkness to the other side while ducking and stepping over drain pipes, squeezing your way through an opening and finally you are in!  I often wonder who comes up with these designs but honestly the rest of the house was awesome so my clients did write an offer on it and we just said that until they could remodel down there, the basement bathroom would remain the secret room it deserved to be. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Showing the Shitter Part II

Showing the Shitter

New year, New Shitters